Education has progressed to a stage where anyone with access to a phone and Wi-Fi (and the desire to study!!!) can master their subject of choice. The internet has not just made the world a more connected place; it has also brought with it a plethora of choices. Online classes, certification courses and distance learning programs are few of the options available to people that enable them to learn from the comfort of their own home. You just need to commit yourself to the program to see results. Today, we at Amrutam, bring you this article with the hopes of finding the perfect Course on Ayurveda for you.
Reading various articles about the Vedas and Ayurvedic practices may have sparked the desire to know more within you. If so you have come to the right place. We have compiled a list of universities and sites that offer the finest courses on Ayurveda and related fields. Ayurvedic knowledge and practices have maintained their relevance in India since ancient times. Moreover, it is also beginning to be accepted and practiced over the world. Consequently, obtaining a degree in Ayurveda is becoming increasingly worthwhile. You can also check out our newest book “Ayurveda Lifestyle – The Begining” for an introduction to all things Ayurveda.
For reading convenience, the list has been split into different parts depending on the type of course (Diploma, Graduation, and Certification).
Graduation Courses (Degrees) Available In India
Most courses on Ayurveda focus on teaching the students holistic and natural ways to alleviate pain and diseases. There is a great emphasis on the use of naturally occurring substances, specifically herbs, fruits and nuts for treatment purposes. Ayurveda offers therapeutic solutions that aim at controlling the symptoms as well as eliminating the root cause of the disease. Within the broad range of Ayurveda, people may choose to specialize in one of several different areas. Some of these specializations have been mentioned below.
- Shalya Chikitsa – Surgery
- Graha Chikitsa – Psychiatry
- Jara Chikitsa – Gerontology, etc.
- The most opted for graduation course in the field of Ayurveda would be the Bachelor of Ayurveda and Medicine Surgery (B.A.M.S.). It is a 5 ½ year course which includes one year of internship. Graduates of the B.A.M.S. course are given the title of Vaidyars.
- There are approximately 200 colleges in India that provide the B.A.M.S. course. Some of the more prestigious universities that offer the above-mentioned course are;
- Bachelor of Siddha Medicine and Surgery (B.S.M.S.) is another option available in the Under-Graduate course options while plenty of Post-Graduate courses like M.D. in Ayurveda, M.D. in Dravyaguna, M.D. in Kayachikitsa, M.B.A. in Ayurveda Pharmacy, etc. are all available.
As opposed to a Degree, Diplomas are generally shorter courses which focus on providing practical training to the students. A variety of Diploma courses are available with the most commonly opted for course being the Diploma in Ayurvedic Pharmacy. The Diploma courses offer training to the students on the various practical aspects of Ayurveda. Additionally, it creates a strong knowledge base which is invaluable when pursuing a Bachelors or Masters Degree. The majority of the course focuses on the medicines used in Ayurvedic treatments: the different manufacturing techniques, how to properly store and dispense the medication, quality control, etc.
- Some of the more esteemed colleges that provide the above-mentioned course are:
- Indian Institute of Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Sciences (Gujarat),
- National Institute of Health Science and Research (New Delhi)
- International Institute of Education and Research (Rajasthan).
- Alternative Diploma courses include Diploma in Ayurvedic Nursing and Pharmacy, Diploma in Panchkarma, Diploma in Herbal Medicine, etc. A few Diploma courses designed specifically for Post-Graduates are also available.
Certification Courses Available Online
Of the three options listed in this article, Certification courses are by the far the shortest courses available. They generally range between 6 to 12 months. Although the course duration is shorter than the others, Certification courses cover just as vast an array of topics as their longer counter-parts. Some Certification courses available online are
- Certificate Course in Ayurvedic Food and Nutrition,
- Certificate in Ayurvedic Therapy,
- Certificate Course in Ayurvedic Beauty Therapy, etc.
- Various sites and Health Resorts provide certification courses on Ayurveda and related fields. The online learning platform Udemy has several wonderful courses on Ayurveda that you can access from your own homes. For extremely affordable rates, you can sign up for one (or more) of several different courses which deliver study material in the form of videos split over multiple sessions.
- The Harith Ayurveda Academy and Arhanta Yoga Ashrams are two Health resorts/ashrams that provide certification courses on site. The Certification Courses mentioned above are open to everyone and have no minimum requirements.
- Certification Courses serve as an efficient means of exploring the field before one commits fully. Moreover, these courses can act as refresher courses to experienced professionals who already practice Ayurveda.
Knowledge is an eternal possession of kinds. It can only be freely given and received. As the author of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum has very poetically put “No thief, however skillful, can rob one of knowledge, and that is why knowledge is the best and safest treasure to acquire.”